The E. M. Skinner Organ, Opus No. 475
The organ is a four manual Electro-pneumatic instrument of 68 ranks. It was designed and built in 1926 by Ernest M. Skinner, the preeminent American organ builder in the early part of the 20th century. The organ was a landmark in Skinner's artistic development since it was the first time he used the Willis-type chorus mixtures and triangular wooden flutes.
By the 1950’s, the re-discovery of German baroque organs caused Mr. Skinner’s Romantic instruments to fall from favor. This change in artistic fashion resulted in the almost total redesign of his instruments in such places as the National Cathedral, Washington D.C., St. John the Divine, New York, Princeton University and Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor.
Out of the hundreds of organs produced by the Skinner firm, this organ is one of only three large four manual instruments that remain in their original form. In addition to the website above, the organ now has its own facebook page.